Art Trails offer customised guided art, craft and cultural tours to suit all interests and tastes. We introduce clients to practicing artists and curators and go ‘behind-the-scenes’ to where art happens – studios, collectives, leading art galleries and hidden collections in private museums and houses.
A sample Cape Town tour might include:
- Explore the old part of the centre of Cape Town where leading commercial galleries meet 18th and 19th century private houses and museums.
- Come visit Woodstock where the contemporary art scene is happening – leading, world renowned art galleries and design shops pepper the once working class neighbourhood.
- Visit the newly opened Zeitz MOCAA (Museum of Contemporary African Art), the largest contemporary art museum on the continent, in the world class Victoria and Alfred Waterfront, Cape Town. And visit Southern Guild, next door, Africa’s leading design store, or pop into Donald Greig to view wildlife sculptures at his shop and foundry and see the pouring.
- Combine a Cape Town, Winelands art tour with some top collections in the vineyard estates and galleries of Stellenbosch and Franschhoek and visit Dylan Lewis’ sculpture garden outside Stellenbosch.
- Visit community-based arts and craft projects in Langa, Masiphumelele or Kayamandi and see where locals are creating authentic work.
Art Trails will tailor an itinerary to suit clients’ interests and time available. Certified art tour guide and art professional, Diana Williams will lead you on your art discovery journey. Art Trails is a member of Fair Trade Tourism.
Please contact Diana Williams to discuss a potential tour so that we can tailor-make a fun and informative experience.
A breathe of fresh air. Amazing range of knowledge and a pleasure to be with. Unforgettable visit to Cape Town. A must.
Fiona Jakobi, London
…having a short time in cape town and knowing full well the art, architecture, history and wine that beckon…one can only be completely thrilled with a guide such as Diana…she is not only knowledgeable in the field of art…she has also devoted considerable resources to supporting artists by creating gallery and studio spaces. Diana is a good listener, and immediately “got” what I wanted to accomplish in my "Cape Town day" with her. Furthermore, before parting, she had made arrangements for my next day of wine tasting and museum visits in the countryside. I say spot on and highly recommend this charming and erudite guide.
Karla Sherman, USA
Diana offers much more than a simple tour. It's a captivating experience into South Africa’s history and art.
Renato Lardelli, House Manager, The Cape Grace Hotel
It was wonderful to get to see the galleries, architecture and museums of Cape Town with Diana. Her breadth of knowledge and insider perspective make her an ideal guide.
Henry, New York
By visiting Zeitz with Diana from Art Trails we were able to understand and appreciate the art, which can be difficult and not always engaging. Diana put the exhibitions into perspective and gave us the insight we needed to understand 21st century conceptual art. We then went onto to visit a leading contemporary art gallery, which showed us different work from the same artists and others - totally refreshing and enlightening.
Visitors, Sydney, Australia
We were overwhelmed by the historical and political significance of the art exhibited at the Zeitz MOCAA museum. Diana from Art Trails put it all into context for us and gave us a true insight into current themes running through art from the continent.
New York Family
It was great meeting you and learning so much about Cape Town, the time spent at the District Six Museum was both life changing and inspirational.
I loved the way Art Trails introduced us to a leading commercial gallery and its director in Woodstock and then took us to two artists’ studios nearby. We got to see practicing artists in an old warehouse, which we would never have found ourselves.